Saturday, May 9, 2009

Saturdays are for Eating!

First, let me say that this is not a paid post, and I have not been asked to review the recommended site. I am speaking from my own experience. Today, I wanted to share one of my favorite links to free recipes, information, and cooking tips on the web. When I need a recipe for something and I am not sure exactly what I want and my books here at home have failed me, I often end up at All Recipes. All Recipes (allrecipes.com) is a social food network of individuals sharing cooking tips, tricks, and recipes. There is a recipe exchange, a recommended blog list, and a section of daily recommended recipes. I see from my visit there today that they are currently having a $10,000.00 giveaway contest opportunity. Couldn't hurt!

The Mother's Day section has suggestions for brunch, dinner, and easy desserts for kids to make. Of course, they also include the ever popular mimosa recipe. What brunch on Mother's Day would be complete without a mimosa? Which reminds me, I need to stock up on indredients!

One of my favorite sections to visit is the Healthy Cooking section. Since my family lives a lacto-ovo vegetarian lifestyle, we often use keyword search or look in the Healthy Cooking section. It has a great collection of recipes and information about the Super Foods (fruits, vegetables, whole grains, beans). There is also a specifically vegetarian section, and it has some really tasty offerings such as avocado tacos and pesto pizza.

Often, I end up adding my own flair to the recipe, like black beans to the avocado tacos and making my own pizza dough for the pizza. I also cook with all organic and non-GMO ingredients. I call this practice "recipe rescue" because I take the basic recipe and then change it so that it is acceptable to my eating requirements. I attempt to avoid pre-packaged, processed foods to the greatest extent possible. I believe it is better for our bodies to avoid chemicals, laboratory created additives, artificial colors, and preservatives. I also do not purchase anything that says "natural flavors" added, because that usually means MSG. Visit MSGtruth.org for further information.

I wish you safe and happy eating today,
tomorrow, and always.

No comments: