Can you believe it is time for #10 already??!! I want to say a big thank you to all who have participated in projects up to this point. Some of you have been with me from the very beginning, and we are nearing our one year mark! We have gained participants each and every month, though we have also lost a few along the way. All are welcome, and all are appreciated. I could not have donated the nearly 500 items we have donated without you all!
Now, on to Colorado…
This month, from July 15 to August 15, we are knitting for a homeless youth shelter called Urban Peak in Colorado Springs, Colorado. This project was suggested by kae1crafts on Ravelry, and she will be the volunteer collector and delivery person for this one. Thanks, Kae! Here is a little about the charity:
Urban Peak services for homeless and runaway youth include:
* Overnight shelter
* Daily services including food, clothing, hygiene products, laundry and showers
* Intensive case management
* An onsite medical clinic
* Street outreach
* Job skills assessment, training and placement programs
* GED classes
* Educational counseling and planning
* Scholarship and Financial Aid opportunities
* A Mentorship program
* Assistance in obtaining ID and birth certificates
* Transportation assistance
* Educational and Recreational groups
* Referrals for psychiatric counseling services
* Referrals for drug/alcohol counseling and treatment
* Family Counseling and reunification services
* Housing options and referrals
What we are making:
Hats, gloves, and scarves for youth ages 15 to 21. Colors and patterns are your choice, but do remember the age group when making your choices.
As always, these can be knitted, crocheted, or sewn, and they must be handmade. If you do not knit, crochet, or sew, you can still be involved by purchasing a handmade item from one of the wonderful sellers on Etsy or Artfire. Or, ask a friend to make the item and you provide shipping - then you both get to participate!
Deadline to have these items received by the project coordinator is August 15, so please allow appropriate mail time.
As stated above, our volunteer coordinator for this project is kae1crafts for the collection, tally, and delivery. The mailing address for this is:
This project has finished. If you would like to send an item, please email me for the mailing address.
Please let me know if there are any questions, or if I have left out any vital information for this project. Thank you again for your participation!