Wednesday, September 9, 2009

Change The World Wednesday

I am happy to report that I came into contact with NO styrofoam last week. I have in the past taken food home from a restaurant in it, but not so this week. I also do not purchase meat, so did not have to encounter it in the grocery cart, and use my own fabric coffee sleeve or my own thermos, so no styrofoam coffee cuffs were sent to a landfill.

This week is right up my alley! The challege this week is to PLANT SOMETHING.

As always, brought to you by Reduce Footprints (click the logo above to go to her site):
Fall is a wonderful time to plant things ... trees, bushes, flower bulbs ... even cool weather vegetables. And, of course, there are always house plants. So this week, plant something.

Or ...

If you feel you'd like a little more of a challenge, then ... in addition to part one, write a post about fall planting. Include information on why it's a "good thing", which plants/crops grow best in cool weather, where to get them and how to plant them.

I am not planting a full fall garden, but I have beets already percolating under the earth, and am about to plant some herbs for my winter kitchen window box and lettuces on the west deck. So glad I now have extra incentive to get it done today.

What will you plant?

Visit NatureWithMe to see the Honor Society in the left sidebar...

Photobucket

2 comments:

Viv said...

I get a 'fail' for last week. We did really well until yesterday when I took my children out for frozen yogurt, it was a new place (one that promises an organic twist) that we found out the hard way uses styrofoam.

This week will be even harder for me because I do fine with planting, it is the watering I have trouble with...

Laura said...

I went to the garden shop today and came back with a cart load of mums, spinach, lettuce, cabbage, pok choy, and brussel sprouts. I plan on getting them in the ground on Saturday.