Tuesday, June 23, 2009

Change The World Wednesday

This week's challenge from Reduce Footprints, which begins tomorrow, is to:

For one full day this week, eat only local foods. No tropical fruits from across the world ... no veggies that traveled hundreds of miles to get to your table ... only locally grown foods (this includes meats, dairy products, etc., if you eat them).

OR, if you're already eating only local foods full time ... and may I say congratulations to that ... post one of your favorite "local food" recipes on your blog.

This actually does two things. It forces us (if only for one full day) to eat local, AND to eat seasonal. Because you will only be able to get what is available now from the harvest. For me, this means no bananas, no tomatoes (I have not been buying these anyway because they are only available right now from Mexico or Canada), no peanuts (and no peanut butter), etc.

Basically, this means only eating what I purchased from the Farmer's Market. If I get it from the Farmer's Market, I am certain that it is local, and I will not be making any mistakes or cheating on the challenge. So, for me, I will choose at least ONE full day this week and I will write down everything I eat and how it is eaten (raw, from recipe, etc...).

If you are in on the challenge, visit Reduce Footprints and leave a comment. Then blog about the challenge or spread the word to your favorite blogs.
Photobucket

1 comment:

Unknown said...

I think that this challenge is going to be interesting because the definition of "local" varies depending on who is asked. I tend to be an all or nothing kind of person so ... I'm going to make sure that, for at least one day, everything that goes into my mouth is local. To me that means, only things that show up in our farmer's markets and doesn't include spices, condiments, oils, etc. that aren't made here. I think it will force me to experiment with flavors using just what we have ... herbs, etc. It'll be fun ... and I'm sure it will be very enlightening.

Thanks for the post!

Small Footprints
http://reducefootprints.blogspot.com